This Date Long Ago #2

This Date Long Ago

March 4, 1966

Written by Charles Collett

Submitted by: Robert Kingrey

The post office building at Fifth and Center was first occupied 53 years ago today. Jerry Davidson, a Civil War Veteran, was postmaster. Two weeks later backwater from the river remembered as the 1913 flood stood four feet deep in the old location of the office at Fourth and Center Streets. Albert Cannon, retired assistant postmaster, is the only living person in the city who was connected with the mails at that time. On this date in 1938, the newspaper story was that the Selby Shoe Co. at their big plant on Third and Ellison Avenue had established a new record turning out 3,200 pair of high-class ladies shoes daily during the month of February. E. N. Meck was the superintendent.