Hanging Rock

The Village of Hanging Rock

Hanging Rock was the name given it from the
overhanging cliff above the town, where the
bold front of a huge rock juts from the hill,
threatening the village below, literally with a
“hanging rock.” Another story: The Indians
called it “Heap Big Rock.” When the white
man arrived in 1794, they chased the Indians
back and told them they’d hang the first red skin
that peeped over the rock, and since then it has
been Hanging Rock. Hanging Rock has also
been known as the “Bend in the River.”
Another story: There was a rock in the river
that hung up the boats, thus calling it “Hanging
Rock.” Part of the town of Hanging Rock was
built on the old Bartles farm.

Ironton Register, January 30, 1851


Built: 1907, demolished


Built: 1929, demolished


Hanging Rock is a village in Lawrence County, Ohio, United States, along the Ohio River. The population was 221 at the 2010 census.

Hanging Rock had its start in 1820 when a blast furnace was built at the site. The village takes its name from a nearby cliff.

Hanging Rock Post Office – Zip Code was 45635

Submitted by Hanging Rock-born Carl Adkins:

Left to right: Robert Phillip Adkins, Laura Koster, Norman Richendollar, Carl Adkins, circa 1945. The road on the right is Newcastle Pike (present day 650)…the railroad tracks in the picture extended from present-day Railroad Street. The tracks ran southeast to the river before US 52 was built in 1958.

Gray Gables - Grays Sanitarium

This was the Hanging Rock home of ironmaster Robert Hamilgton. Later, Dr. Clinton G. Gray opened a sanitarium in the house and named it Gray Gables. In the late 1930s it housed a night club of the same name. The house is now goen but a small 2-story building remains near the river. Across Second Street is the stable and pasture, owned and operated by Dave and Faye Blankenship.

Hanging Rock, Spirit of the Times, June 7, 1853

 Highway Roberry and Thief. – Two men, whose names we did not learn, stopped Mr. M. Kline, of Hanging Rock, on Saturday, and, presenting a pistol, demanded “his money or his life.” Considering the latter a little more valuable than the former, he suffered them to take his purse, containing four dollars. The ruffians stole a skiff and floated down to Sciotoville, where they sold it for five dollars. They were followed to this city and arrested on Sunday. Justice McCoy sent them to jail, yesterday, where they will remain until called for by the officers of Lawrence county.

Ironton Register, Apr. 15, 1858 – Hanging Rock Union School. The winter and spring terms of this school closed on Friday evening, April 2d, with an exhibition, principally by the advanced department….


  • Means, Kyle & Co., have been doing a brisk business on the coal yard, for a week or two. We now understand the bands on the yard, are getting a fixed commission on the amount of coal sold above their regular wages. The Company have shipped considerable iron within the last few days.

  • Capt. Hempstead’s foundry is well under headway. The foundation is being laid with stone quarried within a hundred feet from the place it is to occupy in the wall. It is of the best quality. The main building will be 108 ft. front by 90, and the floor will accommodate thirty workmen. Judging from the progress he is making, the Captain will be ready for operating about the middle of June.

  • He is also, to erect dwellings for his men.

  • The schools are in excellent condition. The present term will close the 1st of April. The reports circulated, charging the Treasurer of the Board of Education with dishonesty, have proved false and groundless.

  • Mrs. Rodgers is beautifying her residence and grounds. One would hardly know the place.

  • Mr. Robert Yingling now stands behind the counter, at James Martin’s store. He has put in a new window, which gives the building a novel appearance.

  • Travelers in search of old maids and old bachelors, are requested to call at a certain boarding house up town.

Ironton Register, THURSDAY, JULY 23, 1885

  • Everybody engaged in keeping cool.

  • The Board of Education at their meeting last Monday eve elected Miss Feurt as teacher of the Grammar school.

  • The river is full every eve with bathers.

  • Mr. Pierce our notion man on the corner says these democratic times are too hard for him and he is talking of emigrating hence.

  • Every other person you meet has blackberries to sell. Prices range from 10 to 15 cts. a gallon.

  • Clark James, F. Rodgers, and J. L. Haggerty have gone to Jackson to work in the Foundry.

  • Bob Beals left Saturday eve for Cincinnati to work in Davis’ Foundry. One by one they drop out.

  • Thos. Price Jr., has gone to Cincinnati to look for work. Hope he will be successful as Tom is a good boy.

  • The Misses Crossley returned from Portsmouth where they have been visiting friends for the past few weeks. · A. Lowell (or Lawell) is on our streets again after a short absence to Columbus.

Ironton Register, THURSDAY, JANUARY 14, 1886

  • Rev. Hillman wears the smile this week – it’s a girl.

  • Edward Dugan received a shot in the hand by .32 caliber ball entering the hand at index finger, was taken out at wrist joint by Dr. Gillen. All accidental.

  • Ike Stevenson and John Herdman have moved their families to the Rock.

  • John McKnight is mating the Katie Stockdale since the holidays.

  • Wm. Rodgers is here visiting his brother, Capt. Ben.

  • Three of Means, Kyle & Co. coal barges were broken loose by the ice, about the break of day on morning of 11th, with Henry McKnight and Bud Frazer on them. The boys had the courage to stay on and landed them about three miles below.

  • The Stove Foundry has closed on account of the cold weather; will resume work when winter breaks. · Mr. Halstead and family have returned to the Rock.

Ironton Register, THURSDAY, AUGUST 07, 1890

  • The repairing of Hamilton Furnace is progressing as fast as possible. All the changes are being done under the instructions of E. C. Crowther, who has successfully blowed the furnace from her first starting. He is making several changes which will increase the capacity of the furnace and save fuel. One of the most notable changes is the large bosh jacket, 20 feet across at the top and 15 ½ at the bottom. Mr. Crowther here remarked that this jack was a fine job; that it fit so perfect in every respect and showed marks of good workmanship. Lambert Bros. are furnishing about one half of the new work.

  • James Wileman & Son are doing the brick work. The Co. expect to be ready about the 15th of September. They have quite a large pile of lake ore on hand, likely 6000 tons, and 12000 to 15000 tons of native ore and increasing the pile every day. John H. Fisher is the boss blacksmith. The men engaged here are all good fellows.

  • Mrs. Cramer has fully recovered from her severe sickness and will return to her duties at the Post Office this week, and Mr. H. J. Loder will return to his post at the Newcastle store. J. H. Layne can always be found at R. R. Crossing. Jim whiles away the hours with his violin. · The Hanging Rock Stove Foundry have been laboring under some inconvenience from want of a good supply of water but have managed to run right along and are turning out a fine lot of goods.

  • Julier, Miller and Hempstead are running their Nickle plate establishment and have some fine samples of their work on hand.

Ironton Register, JAN. 15, 1891 · After two weeks’ vacation, the teachers have resumed their duties in the school room.

  • Measles have made their appearance in Hanging Rock.

  • Our college students have returned since the holidays.

  • The new mail box is quite an ornament to our post office.

  • Prof. Arnold’s floating chapel arrived here last Saturday. We wish him success.

  • Mrs. Capt. Rodgers who has been quite sick for the past three weeks is convalescing. Fred Young is also on sick list.

  • James Brown, formerly of this place but now of New Castle, spends his Sundays here. Wonder what the attractions are?

  • Ed. B. Walburn, of Coalgrove, was visiting here Sunday.

  • Mrs. James Russell received a handsome Christmas gift in the way of a pleasant home given by her father, who lives in Pennsylvania, it being the Martin property adjoining the M. E. church.

  • The trustees of Hamilton Township have been doing some good work in the way of macadamizing the roads in the lower part of Hanging Rock.

  • Last evening Death visited the home of Dr. and Mrs. Courtney and bore away to the world beyond their little son, Eddie, who had been sick for some time. The sorrowing friends have the sympathy of the entire community.

Ironton Register, MAR. 19, 1891

  • The measles have almost expended their force in our village.

  • Our public schools are progressing nicely with Prof. Humes at the helm.

  • Quarterly meeting was held at the M. E. Church last Sunday. The Presiding Elder, Rev. Haddox, came to us Friday evening and preached with his usual clearness and power. The protracted meeting has begun its work here. We hope a great good may be accomplished.

  • Rev. A. Gilruth, missionary to India, attended the Quarterly meeting last Sunday. Mr. Gilruth is an intelligent and pleasant gentleman and relates in a charming way his experiences in the strange land beyond the seas.

  • George Kellogg will go from this place Tuesday, to Jeffersonville, Texas, where Mr. Crowther is.

  • Wm. Stoker’s house was badly damaged by fire Saturday night.

  • Charles McAllister is the happy father of a fine baby girl at his house.

  • Rev. Cooper is out again after a few week’s illness.

  • Those on the sick list are Mrs. John Blankmyer and Miss Kate Graham. Also Mrs. Roos has been on the sick list the past week.

  • Mrs. Mary Riter is the guest of home folks at this writing.

  • Mrs. George Wakefield, of Cincinnati, is the guest of friends in this village.

Ironton Register, THURSDAY, APRIL 09, 1891

  • Our school children enjoyed a vacation last week.

  • The protracted meeting at the M. E. Church, conducted by Rev. Hass, closed last Monday night, after having been in progress three weeks. The attendance was large, and the sound and eloquent sermons were greatly appreciated. Quite a number of conversions were made.

  • Rev. Cooper, of Presbyterian Church, Rev. Gilruth, a Missionary to India, and Rev. Harrison, of Ironton Circuit, were with us a few nights during the protracted meeting, and preached very fine sermons.

  • Rev. Cooper‟s two daughters, Mattie and Mary, are home from Oxford College enjoying a vacation.

  • Mr. and Mrs. Dent visited home folks at Wurtland, Ky., last Sunday.

  • Some sickness in our vicinity.

  • Hal Hempstead, of Covington, Ky., is visiting his parents this week.

  • George Kiskadden is having his house repaired. It was damaged by fire some time ago.

  • Louis Foust is seriously sick.

  • Last Tuesday morning the Angel of Death visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Simones and bore away their infant baby.

  • Mr. Russell of Haverhill, died very suddenly at the home of his son at this place, last Thursday. The funeral was preached by Rev. Hass. The remains were interred in the Hanging Rock cemetery.

Ironton Register, June 25, 1891 – The Hanging Rock schools re-elected their former efficient corps of teachers – Supt. Humes, Misses Savage, Foster and Mather.

Ironton Register, June 25, 1891 – The first rail was laid on the Hanging Rock street railroad extension yesterday. A large portion of timbers are down, and the road may be completed and cars running next week. Some additional care will be received for that portion of the road. They will run on the extension independent of the main line, the cars making connections each way, at the stables.

Ironton Register, Nov. 7, 1895 – Died – Mrs. Phoebe B. Clarke, the mother of Mrs. E. B. Willard, died at the latters home, at Hanging Rock last Sunday morning. Mrs. Clarke was born Nov. 15, 1812, and so was nearly 83 years old, and it was her age more than any form of malady that carried her off, though she has been unable to go about for a long time. She took supper with the family the night before she died. Her birth place was Kennett Square, Penn., and she came to Cincinnati about 1830. Her maiden name was Phoebe Walton. She married Mr. Valentine in 1842, and he died in 1849. She married Mr. John C. Clarke in 1856, and came to Ironton to live, in the present Culbertson residence on 4th street. Mr. Clarke died in 1858, and Mrs. Clarke continued to live there until 1868, when she took up her home with her daughter, Mrs. E. B. Willard, where she lived ever since. Two brothers in Cincinnati and a brother and sister in California survive her. The funeral took place at Mr. Willard‟s Tuesday afternoon and the interment occurred at Woodland. Mrs. Clarke was a woman of strong character, much intelligence, and charitable deeds. Her physical infirmities kept her much in seclusion the latter years of her life, but her kind heart and clear mind made her an interesting woman

See also: