Olive Foundry

Perhaps the oldest building in the city is now a part of the Meehan Steel Products Co., Second Street near Etna Street. It is one of the original buildings erected 109 years ago and has been repainted since the picture was taken in 1920. Built shortly after the town was founded, the Ironton Machine Shop went into operation July 24, 1852(?) under the management of J.M. Merrill & Co. It was later renamed Lambert & Gordon steamboat machine shop and still later known as Lambert Bros. It was known longest as the Olive Foundry and Machine Works before it became the Ironton Punch and Shear Co. Meehan Steel Products purchased and has rebuilt most of the plant since 1920.

Source: August 31, 1961 Herald Dispatch, Huntington WV