McCauley Furniture in 2016, photo courtesy Nicole Cox
Formerly known as the “Enterprise Block,” the McCauley Furniture Store was located at the intersection of 2nd and Center Streets. The building was erected by John Campbell in 1869. The property was purchased by F. L. McCauley in September 1899 from Charles Campbell and Alice Neal.
McCauley sold the property to Fred Waginger in 1943.
On Monday, January 17, 1949, the McCauley Furniture Store caught fire. The fire started in the basement around 2:45 a.m. Waginger had just completed a $10,000 remodeling project in the basement. On January 16, a shower was held in the basement for Mr. and Mrs. Robert Weber. Waginger was the last to leave the building at 1:00 a.m. on the 17th. The three-story brick building was completely destroyed. Waginger reported a loss of $150,000 from the fire. An explosion from the building blew out the large plate glass window on the Center Street side of the building. Ashland sent fifteen firemen and a pumper truck to aid the Ironton fire department. The flames began again on the 18th.