Gray’s Sanitarium/Gray Gables
The building that housed Gray’s Sanitarium was built by Robert Hamilton in 1852. The brick house sat high on the river bank with a view of the river from the rear portico. Hamilton was a furnace manager until his death in 1856. His home proved to be too expensive to keep unless it was owned by an Iron Master.
Dr. Clinton Godsey Gray bought Hamilton’s home in 1883. The new owner changed the building from a house to a sanitarium. The sanitarium remained in the building until Dr. Dan Feurt Gray, son of Dr. Clinton Godsey Gray, closed it. Dr. Dan Gray claimed the cost of keeping the building a sanitarium was just too expensive.
The house went through another change. It was rented out as a tea room and for other social gatherings. At this time the house was renamed Gray Gables.
After World War I, an Iron Master, Joseph C. Clutters, purchase the home. Clutters was originally from Wellston, Ohio. After only ten years of ownership, Clutters died.
The house was eventually torn down. At one time the grounds were leased by the Ironton Boat Club.
Taken from http://www.briggslibrary.com/hamner/Hospitals.html#link1
Taken from “The Headlight” no date given.
Submitted by: Robert Kingrey
This institution is one, which should deserve special mention in writing up the various and diversified interests in Ironton. It is a sanitarium in every sense of the word, and its equipment is all that could be desired or expected. It is a place for curables, and the patients are not a lot of disgruntled, dissatisfied people who have no hope or ambition: but on the contrary, are fully alive to the comforts and conveniences of this home-like institution, and they may feel assured that everything is being done to insure speedy recovery.
The special feature is the treatment of diseases of women, in which Dr. Gray has been particularly successful. The sanitarium is situated very pleasantly, indeed, and to the casual observer it seems an ideal place in which to live.
Dr. Gray has practiced medicine for 26 years, having been located in Ironton since 1882. He graduated in a course of medicine from the Miami College, Medical which was supplemented by a course of lectures taken in King College Hospital, and St. Bartholomew’s College Hospital, London, England, in 1881-82. The doctor has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances who take pleasure in knowing that he has been successful in his venture and who join with the Headlight in wishing him greater success in the future.