Brumberg Clothing Store

Will Be Located on Third and Vernon Streets

After twenty years in its present location the A. J. Brumberg Clothing Company today announced that its store at 113 south Second street would be moved next month to the Brumberg building on Third and Vernon streets.

The removal of the store to its new location makes a reality the dream of its founder, the late A. J. Brumberg, and justifies his business vision and acumen. In 1906 Mr. Brumberg, foreseeing the time when the business section of the city would expand, determined that the expansion would be up south Third street, and with this in mind he built the five-story brick and steel building on Third and Vernon streets, with the thought in mind that eventually it would be occupied by Brumbergs. The building in modern and thoroughly adapted to today’s business needs.

The entire first floor of the building, now divided into tow business rooms, will be thrown into one, giving the store a floor space of 44×88 feet. The first floor will be entirely remodeled and changed to suit the convenience of the store and these alterations will include a new front. The entrance will be on Third street, with small, modern display windows, on both Third and Vernon streets. All fixtures and equipment now in use will be moved to the new location and when completed it will be one of the most modern in the city.

The A. J. Brumberg store was first established by the late A. J. Brumberg is what is now the Central Hardware building, which it occupied from 1881 to 1883. From 1883 to 1900 it was located on the southwest corner of Second and Center street and from 1900 to 1912 it was located in the Selb building on Second street across the street from its present location. When the store is moved next month it will be permanently settled in it own home.

In order to clear away stock preparatory to moving the store Saturday will open a gigantic sale, probably the largest it has ever sponsored, since the idea in mind is to dispose of every article of merchandise possible before going into its new location. Since it has been decided to open the new store with complete lines in all merchandise, everything possible will be sold during this sale. The store management expects to open in its new location by March 1st.

The management of the store in making the announcement today said that the decision to move was made at this time because of the demand of the owners of the present building for an increased rental, which was believed to be unreasonable at this time, coupled with the intention that has been held for some time to occupy its own building, which will be modernized and made much more adaptable for its requirements.

Ironton Tribune, 28 January 1932, Thursday, Page 2.

Brumberg Removal To New Location

Has Been Started

Removal of the A. J. Brumberg Company from its present location to its new home in the Brumberg building at Third and Vernon streets, has started.

Storage shelving and racks were being removed today, for installation on the second floor storage rooms at the new location. Actual removal of stock has not started and the company will continue to do business at its present stand for several weeks.

Work of remodeling the new Brumberg rooms is being rushed to completion and interior decoration will be started this week. Announcement of the formal opening is expected soon.

Ironton Tribune, 22 February 1932, Monday, Page 3.


Formal Opening to Be Held Monday Evening

The dream of A. J. Brumberg, founder of the A. J. Brumberg Clothing Company, has come true, though he is not here to enjoy its fulfillment. The concern that bears his name and which is carrying on so successfully under direction of his sons has located in a building built under his direction and given his name.

The Brumberg company located on Third and Second streets between Center and Park avenue for the last twenty years, has completed its removal to the Brumberg building at Third and Vernon streets and business is now being conducted at the recently renovated, rebuilt room. Placing of stock and arrangement of displays is to be completed today and on Monday the Brumberg store, its shelves filled with new spring and summer and late winter merchandise will formally open in its new home.

The formal opening of the company is to be held Monday evening between 7 and 9 o’clock. During these hours all residents are invited to visit the company, inspect the new location, fixtures and stock and exchange greetings with the proprietors. There will be no sales made during these hours as they have been set apart solely for the purpose of affording the public an opportunity of paying an initial evening visit.

Before moving to its new location the Brumberg company had the entire lower floor of the building remodeled, rebuilt and redecorated. The interior has been repainted, new display windows were built the entire length of the store on Third and Vernon streets and entrances have been provided on both streets. Display cases and racks are in keeping with the renovated interior and the store ranks with any in the tri-state for appearance, convenience to both clerks and patrons, and modern facilities. Especially attractive are the initial displays in the new windows, which are of the latest design and mode, with lighting effects artistically and efficiently arranged.

The Brumberg company was founded in 1881 and last year will be remembered for the memorable golden jubilee observed by the concern. During the last twenty years the firm had been in the Steece building but soon after the first of the year decision was made to move to the Brumberg building; this being the founder’s plan at the time he supervised construction of the building in 1906. He died in 1907, one year after the building had been completed and established as a factory site. The present store is more attractive, more modern than the old and stands as a worthy memorial to its founder.

All are extended a cordial invitation by the company to pay the firm an inspection trip and visit Monday evening.

Key to Map: 1) City Building; 2) D. T. & I. R. R. & Co.; 3) Masonic Temple; 4) U. S. Post Office; 5) Lawrence County Court House; 6) Citizens National Bank; 7) First National Bank; 8) Star Building & Loan; 9) Bus Station; 10) N. & W. Depot; 11) Elks’ Home; 12) Marlow Theatre; 13) Marting Hotel; 14) Goldcamp Furniture Co.; 15) Etna Building; 16) United Fuel Gas Co.; 17) St. Joseph Church; 18) Ironton-Russell Bridge.

Ironton Tribune, 20 March 1932, Sunday, Page 8.


A. J. Brumberg, one of Ironton’s earliest and most successful clothing merchants came to this county in 1873 when he was only 16 years old. He landed in New York with one dollar in his pocket, and didn’t know a soul in the city. His nearest acquaintance lived in Buffalo, and he spent half of his dollar in telegraphing to the Buffalo friend, and the result was the return by mail the price of a ticket to the city on the lake.

He went to Buffalo and started in as a clerk for the friend who had stood by him, and later became a member of the firm and for awhile operated a branch store in Salem, Ohio. In 1880 he was married in Buffalo, and in 1881 he came to Ironton, liked the town, and spent the remainder of his life here.


Shortly after settling in Ironton, Mr. Brumberg opened his business at 14 and 16 South Second Street, the firm being Cohen and Brumberg, but Mr. Brumberg eventually succeeded to the ownership of the store. To understand the phenomenal strides the house of Brumberg made during its history, one must go back to its beginning- the night of the grand opening when the store was thrown open to the public with brass bands and fireworks. It was at once recognized as the coming clothing house not only of Ironton, but of the country for hundreds of miles around.


Mr. Brumberg had the advantage of being in constant touch with the Eastern dealers, and he obtained pointers of what was going on in the way of styles in advance of most Western dealers.

Mr. Brumberg made up his own advertisement and prided himself on his slogan “O.P.C.H.” (One Price Clothing House). So well known was Brumbergs, that one newspaper of the day stated that “every man, woman and child in the community knows what O.P.C.H. means.” Mr. Brumberg’s establishment was justly described as “the largest, the finest, the best equipped clothing and gents’ furnishing goods store between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.”


Among the other Ironton industries which Mr. Brumberg was interested was the Ironton Lumber Company, of which he was vice president. He was a director of the Citizens National Bank, and a stockholder in the Cement Works. He was a senior member of a branch clothing house in Uniontown, Pa., and had interest in other cities. He was closely identified with the great merchants of the East, and his standing with them was such that he was nearer to the market than anyone in this area.


Although A. J. Brumberg died in 1907, the name of Brumberg is still prominent in Ironton. Three of his sons, who took business lessons behind the counters of their father’s store, now operate three separate stores here. They are, Hi Brumberg of the Gift Shop, Z. D. Brumberg of Gablers, and J. Julius Brumberg, who operates Brumbergs Clothing Store. The same well known brands that have been carried for years are still to be found in the store. As was the custom when A. J. Brumberg operated the store. Brumberg’s will again give souvenirs during a celebration – this time during Ironton’s one hundredth birthday.

One of Brumberg’s employees, Mr. August Schroeder, has been with the store ever since he returned home from the first World War. Mr. Chester Cline, who came back to the store this past year, worked for Mr. A. J. Brumberg.



 A. J. Brumberg

Taken from “The Headlight” no date given.

Submitted by: Robert Kingrey

  Every branch of industry must have its leader. Some representative must set the pace, and the faster the pace, the more the public benefit. The clothing business in Ironton surely has an able representative in Mr. A. J. Brumberg, the manager of the One Price Clothing House, better known by the initial letters of the last four words, the “O. P.C.H.” In 1881 this great clothing house first threw open their doors for business, and the touch of enterprise was everywhere visible and the place fell into popular favor almost immediately, for it was a store where patrons found fair, courteous and liberal treatment and knew that one and all received the same price on goods. Every inhabitant in Ironton, and especially the business men remember the panic months of 1884-5, during the big strikes, and it seemed almost impossible that such an immense establishment as the O. P.C.H. could hold its own, but business ingenuity guided them safely through and all the vicissitudes of time and trade were overcome. Today the store stands as a model in the clothing business, and no establishment between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh can show such a large stock, such a complete store or such a vast patronage.