WHERE DID THEY GO FROM HERE?
Submitted by: Jeanette Johnson
Something about them, where they are now-1875
Dr. Briggs, one of the founders of Ironton, and its first Postmaster, is now living at Long Plain, Mass.
William Colvin, the secretary of the company that built the Ironton Rolling Mill, also member of the firm of Yard and Colvin, in the furniture business, where Devine & Bryne’s shoe store now is, has recently been elected Professor of Political Economy of the State Agricultural College at Columbus, Ohio.
William Price, who in 1853-4, was the bookkeeper of the Ironton Rolling Mill, is now Cashier of the bank of C.C. Russell & Co., Zanesville, Ohio
W. J. Chandler, who learned dentistry with Dr. Sloan in 1853-4, is now a leading dentist in Zanesville, Ohio.
Edward Jordan, attorney-at-law, is now practicing law in New York City.
George B. Hibbard, at one time a law student of Mr. Jordan, is at Tacoma, Washington Territory, in business for the Northern Pacific RR Co.
Ad. Hepburn, once Clerk of Moxley, Barbour & Egerton, lives at De Moines, Iowa.
D. C. C. Bronson, formerly Homeopathic Physician of this place, is in successful practice in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Frank Wheeler, an Ironton schoolboy of 1853, and the grandson of the late Judge Wheeler, is in business with the Ohio Iron Co., at Zanesville, Ohio.
J. B. C. Harris, was Clerk of Court in 1856-7; is now in the grocery business in Marietta, Ohio.
A. H. Windsor was Clerk in the Post Office when Dr. Cory was postmaster; is now a minister belonging to the Ohio Conference.
Rev. W. C. French, Rector of the Episcopal Church of Ironton, from 1855 to 1857, when he moved to Oberlin, Ohio, now lives in Cleveland, Ohio, and publishes the Standard of the Cross.
J. W. Lyons left here about 1857; now lives at or near Pomeroy, Ohio.
N. Derby is in the clothing business, at Newark, New Jersey.
J. M. Root, who used to stay in Moxley & Barber’s drug store, is now in California.
Albert Bixby, brother of E. Bixby, left here last time in 1861; is in the jewelry business, at Danville, Illinois.
J. C. Mead, lumber merchant, is at Youngstown, Penn. He was a well-seasoned old bachelor when he lived here, but is now married.
E. Hurd was landlord of the Ironton House in 1851; afterward in the carpentering and building business; lives now in Sandolva, Illinois.
Rev. George E. Leonard, the Baptist minister, in at Peru, Indiana.
H. Wise, the old clothier, is in the hat and cap business in New York City.
Rev. Watson Clark, who was the High School teacher in 1854 and again in 1865, is now living at Winchester, Scott County, Illinois.
J. G. Ward, Dry Goods merchant, left here in 1862; went to Manchester; started out on a collecting tour, and has not since been heard of.
Smith Ashcraft left Ironton in 1865; is now farming in Champaign County, Illinois.
George W. Jackson, a great society man in his day, is in the banking business at Waco, Texas.
A. G. Mackey, once a carpenter here, is now in Chicago.
Col. C. G. Hawley and John and Charles Earls are at Girard, Kansas.
Sam Silverman, who, in early days, was in the clothing, and afterward furniture business, is now merchandising at Pomeroy. His brother Simon, we believe, is with him.
Thomas Murdock left here about 1855, and is now settled in Emporia, Kansas.
Dr. Bing, who was practicing medicine here in 1853, resides at Portsmouth, Ohio.
James Steen, the sign-painter, is in Chicago, and is said to have made some money.
Firman D. Davis, who taught the Ironton High School a few years ago, is now editing a newspaper at Oxford, Ohio.
A.D. Jaynes is at Sedalia, Missouri. A rather flattering notice of this gentleman is elsewhere printed in this paper.
Fletcher Golden is a Methodist preacher and stationed at Barboursville, W.Va.
R.D. Lewis is making scales at Rochester, NY His son William is with him.
A.D. Downing is selling groceries for cash only at Cardon, Geauga County, Ohio.
John Duke is at Plattsmouth, Nebraska.
J. B. Carlile is at Eureka, Kansas, cultivating cattle.
Dr. G. K. Ackley, who was here in 1854, is now practicing medicine in Pomeroy, Ohio.
Frank Cromley, plasterer, and M. Greenwood, painter, live in Gallipolis. The latter used to keep the Buckeye livery stable.
Moses Morgan, who used to keep a store on Lawrence Street, now lives in a little town in Missouri, on the St. Joseph Railroad.
J. S. Perry is at Manchester, Ohio, in bad health.
William Davis, former superintendent of the Lawrence Mill, lives in Pittsburgh. His sons Thomas and Richard, are also there.
Wasil Boyd is in the furnace business at Waynesboro, Tenn.
Luther Tyson, who used to run the flour mill, has a similar establishment in Jackson County.
Theophilus Pugh is managing the iron mill at Clifton.
R. C. Shoup is in the jewelry business at Greenup.
David Phillips, formerly at the Lawrence Mill, is managing a similar institution at Columbus.
Isaac Brown is one of the proprietors of, and is managing the Star Furnace at Jackson, Ohio.
R. M. Stimson, formerly editor of the Register, is now in Marietta, in no active business.
J. W. Dumble is one of the proprietors of the Marietta Register, and is fat and happy.
J. N. Gould, who clerked at the Ironton hotel, and for Col. Kelly, is in a carpet house in Cincinnati.
SR Bush is merchandising and milling at Bush’s Mills, in Gallia County.
Col. W. M. Bolles is managing the affairs of Monroe and Washington Furnaces located in Portsmouth.
B.F. Bertram, Magistrate here in 1854-7, is living in Quincy, Ky.
Gen. W. H. Powell is a Kansas City, Mo., agent for combined salt companies.
William E. Hibbard, formerly Clerk in Duke’s hardware store, is farming near Topeka, Kansas.
Samuel Burdet, Jr. is painting at Charleston, W. Va., on the Kanawha River.
Warren Hibbard is in the grain business at Brooklyn, Kansas.
Charles and Aaron Bickel, brick masons; the former lives in Nebraska City, and the latter at Salem, Illinois.
John S. Place, one of the first carpenters here, lives in Nebraska City.
Samuel Browning, a well-known contractor and builder, lives in Memphis, Tenn. he built the houses where Mrs. R.E. Rodgers, D. W. Richards, and J. T. Hannan now live.
Mike Huffman, the butcher, who used to be with J. Bitman, is now in Cincinnati.
Thomas W. Fagan, carpenter, and William Jones, merchant, live in Mexico, Missouri.
Joel Stover and James Hunter, carpenters, and G. W. Smith, grocer, are now in Flora, Illinois.
John J. Vinton, who started a brass foundry here in 1854, is in a similar business in Akron, Ohio.
William H. Murphy, who put the machinery in the nail mill and ran it under the first management, is now at Pike’s Peak.
Henry Stone, confectioner and afterwards landlord of the Buckeye house, flourishes in Chicago.
David Rees, carpenter, lives up in Allen County, Ohio.
William Snyder, carpenter, resides in Clarksburg, W.Va.
O.G. Hopkins, a somewhat enterprising and stylish grocer, who held forth in Center Block, lives in Louisville, Ky.
Henry Clarkson, who was the superintendent of the Iron Railroad for some years, is a resident of New Richmond, Indiana.
Clayton Rodgers, son of George P. Rodgers, runs a drug store in Milford, Missouri. He is married; owns property there; left here seven years ago.
John W. Hughes, bricklayer, lives in Nebraska City, Neb.
Colonel I. W. Kelly, former dry goods merchant, lives in Serana, Illinois.
T. C. Bridwell, druggist, is in the same business at Evansville, Indiana.
N. I. Behan, who opened a law office here about eighteen years ago, holds forth at Middleport.
Dr. AC Swartzwelder is in Waco, Texas, indulging in his taste in agricultural pursuits.
Thomas Leary, at one time in the grocery business with P. Murphy, firm name Murphy & Leary, is now a farmer in Freebom County, Minn.
Father O’Donahoe, for many years pastor of St. Lawrence Catholic Church, is now stationed in Marion, Marion County, Ohio.
Mat. Long, who kept a store in West Ironton, during the war, is now a banker in Germany.
John Gillaspie, a heater years ago in the Star Mill (now Belfont) is a heater in the Top Mill, Wheeling, W.Va.
Father Gilmour, who built St. Lawrence Church, and present Bishop of Cleveland, Ohio, is in Florida recruiting his health.