LaGrange Furnace

38°34’09.4″N 82°40’38.9″W

Photo taken March 2018 by Alyssa Ratliff

The Irontonian, 1948 — In an article about the Ohio Iron and Coal Company: “On April 23, these stockholders met, organized and dated their organization papers using the new name, Ironton… On May 3 the new company purchased the LaGrange furnace lands at the mouth of Storms Creek on the Ohio river… This land purchase included all the land on the river bank from Storms Creek as far up the river, a distance we now know as “South” to Jefferson street… On June 20, the first public land sale for the new city of Ironton was held.”



Start of Operation: 1836

Blowout: 1856

Daily Tonnage: 7

Built By: Hurd, Gould & Company

Stack: 32 feet w/10 foot bosh

Blast: Hot

Type: Charcoal

William Dollarhide Kelly leased LaGrange Furnace from 1851-1854 and made considerable money in this venture. (Lawrence Register)

Per J.P. Lesley, the ch fn was owned by the Ohio Iron and Coal Co, John Campbell, President. IN 1854 the fn produced 1,000 tons of iron out fo lower coal measure limestone ore mixed with some block ore. The fn was abandoned in 1856 for want of timber.


Take Rt 93 north from Ironton. Turn left onto RT 21 and follow west. The furnace will be on your left.